Friday, April 2, 2010

Snow Leopard - External Photoshop...

Symptom Recognition:

You make adjustments to a file in Lightroom, and then you try and edit it in Photoshop-CS4 using external editing -%26gt; Comand-E.

Nothing happens.

You check the Console Log and you see

9/2/09 2:29:58 AM Adobe Photoshop CS4[7706] *** CFMessagePort: dropping corrupt request Mach message (0b00100)

You back up in history, so as to undo some of your LR edits, and it eventually works again.

Bug Reproduction:

  1. Make adjustments to a RAW file in Lightroom - my case 5DMKII, either canon raw, or dng
  2. Select the Skin Softener Brush (default settings) in Lightroom
  3. Paint on the picture with multiple clicks (I have seen it happen in 5 stokes and in 20 strokes)
  4. Occasionally check to see if Command-E will bring the image up in Photoshop
  5. If it does, exit without saving, and continue applying brush strokes, and check again.
  6. If it does not, check the Console, and you will see the error above
  7. Now Start clicking one brush stoke back in history, and keep checking with the edit command
  8. In my case, it eventually works again once a certain number of brush stokes have been removed

I have Tried:

  • Re-Installing Snow Leopard clean on a wiped disc
  • Re-Installing Photoshop
  • Re-Installing Lightroom
  • Removing the com.adobe.%26lt;software%26gt; Preference files for Photoshop and Lightroom

NONE OF THIS WORKED !

I also tried editing the same files under a different user name on the same machine, and I DID NOT SEE THE PROBLEM

There is a problem with something in my user profile, Snow Leopard, Lightroom and Photoshop, and I cannot seem to find it.

Does anybody know what the console ERROR message may refer to ?

9/2/09 2:29:58 AM Adobe Photoshop CS4[7706] *** CFMessagePort: dropping corrupt request Mach message (0b00100)

I have spent THREE days on this ... it is driving me NUTS!!

Any help would be appreciated.?Thanks


Snow Leopard - External Photoshop...

I can confirm this behavior as well. Here are some workarounds that I tried.

  • Clearing the history before attempting to edit in Photoshop
  • Making a virtual copy and editing the VC in Photoshop
  • Copying the settings, resetting the image to its import settings, then pasting the copied settings (though, I was able to edit the image after resetting the image back to its import settings, but not after pasting the settings back)
  • Saving out the metadata just prior to attempting the edit in Photoshop

Therefore, my short-term work around was to add Photoshop CS4 as an additional external editor and then edit the photo with the ''additional Photoshop CS4'' which has been working fine. (Preferences-%26gt;External Editing)

Frustrating that the original functionality has been temporarily disabled. Can I assume we will see an update within 30 days?

Snow Leopard - External Photoshop...

I had your same problem, as I wrote in this post.


I've resolved with Lightroom on 32 bit...please tell me if this works for you.

Thanks, running Lightroom in 32-bit mode solved this issue!

To Adobe: This obviously defeats installing Snow Leopard to take advantage of the 64-bit OS. Is there a schedule to address/fix this issue?

You don't need Snow Leopard to take advantage of LR's 64 bit processing. SL running the OS in 64 bit doesn't affect LR.

OP: Until this is fixed, why not do less local work in LR and more in PS, as you're sending to PS anyway?

Thank you, John for clarifying the point about 64-bit processing (addressing).

With respect to your note about post-processing more in Photoshop, it really comes down to cost. In simple terms of cost and time advantage, Lightroom is the clear winner. The more efficiently I can process photos, the lower my post costs resulting in a higher gross profit. I only edit files in Photoshop when I can't achieve the same results in Lightroom (ie, more advance spot or blemish removal).

I opt to do this for a few reasons, the least of which is I can copy/paste my corrections and batch process them across many photos. This functionality isn't possible in Photoshop (though, you could argue why not use Bridge).

To me, LR is a hybrid of Bridge and Photoshop - rather than bouncing from program to program, I can post-produce literally hundreds of photos in an hour or so, using just one program.

But to each his own.

Cheers.

Indeed! I was trying to suggest that mode to the Original Poster.

I do 90% of my stuff in LR, perhaps more.

Thanks to all for chiming in on the issue.?I submitted a bug report to Adobe, and they were able to reproduce the problem.?They too suggested running in 32-bit mode until they resolve the issue with Apple.

FYI, this problem can be reproduced with a JPEG file.?I have created the issue with an 87KB Jpeg file and about 40 edits with the brush.?So it is not related to any file size or format in particular.

So for now, I am running in 32-bit mode without issue, and no noticeable performance impact.

I will share any information that adobe communicates to me, should they have a fix.

I've right now made the upgrade to Lightroom 2.5 and also Camera Raw 5.5, but the problem still persist...

No comments:

Post a Comment