Friday, April 2, 2010

Lens blur problem (depth layer gives a...

I have rendered out an RGB pass and a depth pass from my 3d package and dropped them into AFX using the lens blur filter to create some depth of field

After juggling with some of the settings I have got the focal distance I want but as you can see from the image I have a hard edge to my RGB layer.

Its as though the LensBlur effect is only working inside the matte of the layer its been applied to.

Ive tried precomping the layers and turning alpha channels off to see if that makes difference but no luck.

Can anyone suggest why the depth pass isnt blurring the edge too?

Thanks

Lens blur problem (depth layer gives a...

Did you apply your lens blur directly on the layer, or did you configure the lens blur to use a texture map ?

In the second case, you can add a little fast blur to the texture map and precompose it with ''moving all attributes''.

Hope that helps

Lens blur problem (depth layer gives a...

You must pre-compose foreground and background before applying the effect. That's just how real DOF works...

Mylenium

Thanks for your input guys.

I did have the effect applied to the layer so I then precomposed it as suggested which has worked...... (see attachment)

However I now have a new problem!

I actually need the the focus to be reversed, with the background sharp and the foreground blurred.

I tried 'inverting the depth map' in the lens blur settings but it gave me the same problem as before with the hard edges....

Any ideas on how to get the focus working the other way around?

Make sure your depth map actually contains RGB/ luminance values in al lareas. If the depth pass contains Alpah, some of them would be transparent/ empty and thus ''undefined''. Pre-compose it against a sold that has the same color as the farthest away pixels in the depth map (black or the darkest grey).

Mylenium

Thanks Mylenium

Ive been using jpeg images so the alpha isnt an issue here....

As soon as I adjust the focal length to put the foreground out of focus, I start to get the hard edge. If I adjust the focal length to throw the background out of focus the depth layer works fine........weird

No comments:

Post a Comment