Friday, April 2, 2010

Question about template caching

Hi all,

We are trying to reduce the amount of network IO on our file server and we can see that a very large amount of this is coming from our webservers reading Coldfusion source code. We were under the impression that Coldfusion compiled and cached the source code in memory and we were not expecting to see this amount of traffic.

We did some reading up on the subject and it looks like Coldfusion does indeed compile and cache the source code but the way it does this is very configurable. I read the articles http://blogs.sanmathi.org/ashwin/2006/07/12/tangling-with-the-template-cache/ and http://www.adobe.com/devnet/server_archive/articles/server_caching_cf.html which explain how if the maximum number of cached templates is too small then the cache will remove old templates when new ones are requested which would lead to additional file access. We do have a very large number of .cfm files so this sounded like a plausible problem.

However, after checking cfstat for the 'cache pop' rate (as indicated in the above article) it is saying that it is -1.

I can't find any information on what -1 means and it wasn't what I was expecting! Does anyone know?

Thanks

Question about template caching

We are trying to reduce the amount of network IO on our file server

Question about template caching

I know what you are saying but we have 18 web servers in our load balancer to handle the traffic. Having 18 local versions of the source code would be a nightmare to manage.

In situations like these, the (performance) impact to my users always trumps how much of a pain in the butt something might be for me to implement.

Updating code across multiple servers only impacts me, and only fairly infrequently (ie: when it's time to do a release).?The performance hit of serving the files across the wire impacts everyone, on every mouse click.

But still, if the users aren't perceiving the performance degradation, then NP I guess.

And equally, far be it for me to be telling you how to run your system.?I'm simply offering my position on said situation.

--

Adam

However, after checking cfstat for the 'cache pop' rate (as indicated in the above article) it is saying that it is -1.

I can't find any information on what -1 means and it wasn't what I was expecting! Does anyone know?

No comments:

Post a Comment