Friday, April 2, 2010

Clickboxes continues anyway!

Please helpout!

In my project I've a clickbox that demands a shortcut with the keys Shift+F10, in order to make the project continue to the next slide in the project. No matter how I do, the project continues without me pushing Shift+F10. What to do?!?

Somebody please help me!

Have a nice day!

//shoeegaal

Clickboxes continues anyway!

In your click box properties, options tab, is the option ''Pause project until user clicks'' selected?

Hope this helps!?

Clickboxes continues anyway!

Try checking the properties for the slide instead of the click box.?Make sure 'On Enter' and 'On exit' boxes both say Continue, and not 'Open URL'.

I have a similar problem.?I am creating a project (in v4) that contains several ''clickable'' URLs.?I am using Clickboxes to take the user to the URL they click on in a new window.?I also would like the tutorial to pause when they click on a URL.?I have the click box set to open the URL in a ''New'' Window and ''continue playing project'' is unchecked.?However, it neither opens in a new window or stops playing the project.?In fact, it does absolutely nothing no matter how I preview it or when I export it and regardless of internet browser.

I've looked in the slide properties (as suggested in the previous reply) and ''on enter'' is already set to continue and continue is not available on slide exit.?so... yeah.?And, I haven't found anything else that works.?Is this a bug??I had the same problem in Captivate 3 as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am nearly positive that your problem is with the Flash Player security settings.?You won't always get a message stating this however, you just have to know on your own.?This is assuming that your problem is occuring while playing locally, not server based.?If so, go to the flash security settings and allow the folder where your project is stored.?This should correct your problem.

Hope this helps,

randy

Hi there

In case you need assistance with configuring the security settings, the link below is intended to assist.

Click here to view

Note that the way Click Boxes and Buttons work is not really conducive to what you seem to be wanting. I'm inferring from your post that you want the project to play merrily along UNTIL someone clicks the Click Box or Button. THEN you want the project to open the URL or File and also PAUSE the presentation. Otherwise, you want the presentation to continue playing merrily along and not pause. You can probably accomplish it in Captivate 4 using an Advanced Action, but it would take a bit of effort to configure.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Thank you Randy.?That definitely helped me out.?Still gotta figure out the pausing thing.?But, I'll go with an Advanced Action as described in the last reply.?I just v4 yesterday so the Advanced Action is new to me yet.?Hoping to get it hammered out today.

You said that you thought my problem was Flash based because you assumed I had it stored locally.?When I have this tutorial hosted online, users shouldn't experience the same problem, correct??It was just a problem with Flash trying to access folders locally on my computer?

You're very welcome, always glad to help!?To the best of my knowledge the flash security issue only occurs when previewing or playing locally, once uploaded to a server the problem goes away.

As for the pause you're describing I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem??According to the settings you've described when they click the url link the url should open in a new window and the tutorial stop until they return.

If I'm understanding what you want to do, here's what I've done in the past...

On the slide with the click box url's add a text button labeled continue with the on success property set to ''go to next slide''.?Use your timeline to set it to pause the project until user clicks at the very end of the slides timing (after any other objects or animations have displayed).?This way, when the user closes the new window and is returned to the initial slide (with the url click boxes) they can click the continue button which will start that project back up and take them to the next slide.

Hope this helps.

Hi Randy

From what I see of it, the desire is for the project to play merrily along UNTIL the Click Box has been clicked. So if the user doesn't click, the next slide appears and no pause occurs. But if the user DOES click, a new window opens and the project pauses at that point.

I suppose only brickne2 can say for certain if I'm understanding correctly.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Rick's description of the problem is most accurate.?There are a couple links on a slide that a user can click.?If a user clicks one of the links, I want the presentation to pause and open up the link in a new window.?I can get the link to open in a new window.?However, the presentation does not pause.?So, when the user comes back to the presentation its not on the same slide or it has finished (either way, they have missed important information).

I tried the button idea suggested by Randy, and actually I think I'm going to go with that.?I don't mind forcing users to have to click manually.?I don't know javascript and the Advanced Actions are not something I am going to figure out soon enough.

So... for now.?The button it is.?It effectively accomplishes what I want:?the ability for the user to go to a URL from the presentation and not miss anything at the same time.?If they have to click to advance a couple slides... so be it.

Thank you both.?I appreciate all of the help.

Hi again

I have an idea brewing that may be able to help you. Basically it involves a smidgeon of Advanced Actions combined with a hidden element or two. I'm going off to test and will report back if I'm able to accomplish it!

Essentially I'm thinking that one may be able to insert a Button that is initially hidden until the Click Box has been clicked. At the Click Box activation, show the Button (which should pause the slide) and open the URL in the new window. My thought is that if the Button is hidden, it won't pause the slide.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Hi again

I just tested and that seemed to do the trick!

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment